Re: Capture of DDL Statement

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 04:58:36 +1100

No value judgements were supplied. In 9i, information about all DDL is already available, and there's no overhead in the system collecting it, whereas triggers do impose an overhead. Roll your own, if you insist, but you'll be performing completely unnecessary work, and so will the database. In 8i, I didn't add anything to Tom's previous answer, since the link he supplied is all you could ask for... though on second thoughts, perhaps he should also have supplied a reference to the dbms_drop_the_attitude package.

HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"Jerry Metz" <JMetz1_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> I don't recall asking for your value judgment. I asked for a methodology
> complete the task.
>
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
>
> > For 9i, you're wasting your time. All DDL statements are included in
the
> > redo logs already, and judicious use of Log Miner will reveal precisely
who
> > did what, to what, and at what time.
> >
> > For anything other than 9i, then yes, triggers are the way to go... but
> > honestly, do you really allow "any and all users" to issue DDL?
Yikes....