Re: Do not need backups with Veritas Volume Replicator

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:41:43 GMT

damorgan wrote:

> An audit trail is for reversing operator error. If that error is not caught within one
> calendar quarter in a well managed system it will never be caught.
>
> No one ever says "You know I remember accidentally deleting that record last year
> (unless it is January 2nd or 3rd.).

:) Agreed. Audit trails are useful tools, but I have a hard time seeing how they eliminate the need for backups and guarantee the ability to go back in time. Backups are backups, audit trails are audit trails, they each solve separate problems (unless you've got a different definition of an audit trail, which you may, hence my question).

> I understand and appreciate your point. But honestly when was the last time you went
> to your tape library, picked a random tape, and tested whether it could be restored?

Friday. Like I said, we do it all the time - daily basis. And it's not just a test - our customers depend on the results.

> My problem with tape is that it often gives a false sense of security. Too often I
> have been in a situation where the tape was found ... and found to be worthless.

Understood - single points of failure aren't a great idea in a production environment. I'm just saying that a good tape setup needn't have the kind of failure rate you've experienced, nor does it have to be a single POF.

Regards,
Sean Received on Mon Mar 18 2002 - 10:41:43 CST