Re: rOracle JDBC drivers and setting NLS_DATE_FORMAT in a logon trigger doesn't work

From: Davide Bianchi <davide_at_davidebianchi.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:53:51 +0000 (UTC)

"Andre van Winssen \(andrew\)" <andrew-no-spam-svp_at_info.nl> wrote in message news:3c9605ea$0$11064$4d4ebb8e_at_news.nl.uu.net...

> yes, this works .. in Oracle. But our javacode attempts to be
> database independent, so localizations (like NLS) must be as
> transparant for the application as possible.

Well, if you are going to write a LOGON trigger, that means that you have a part of the application that is *not* database independent, so you can also have a View with the "TO_CHAR" conversion in place and maybe an instead-of trigger on the same view to have the "TO_DATE" conversion. So your Java code is still the same, and the "database" part have to be modified.

Frankly, I think that REAL database independency is impossible, at least for any application that is more than a stupid (and useless) exercise.
Or you have something specific in the Java code, or you need a database server that support Stored Procedure (at least) and use that as an interface to your database.

Davide