Oracle8i ... Oracle9i, OCI? Thin? PLEASE!!!!!

From: John <john.ck_at_spray.se>
Date: 18 Mar 2002 00:54:55 -0800

Hi,

We run bea weblogic 5.1, with a connection pool to an Oracle8i. Everything works great.

Recently we installed one more database server an Oracle9i.

We use the same db drivers for the O8i and O9i. It still works great with the O8i but the O9i connection is not stable, it works sometimes, and sometime NOT. 30% of all transaction to the O9i are throwing SQLException and are rolling back.

I ve been told to update the drivers for the O9i, and here is the PROBLEM! WebLogic jDriver for Oracle 9i is not available for WLS5.1. Its only available for WLS6.1SP2 and above.
And as I cannot use two different OCI drivers at the same time, I ve been suggested to use the
Oracle thin driver from Oracle to connect to the 9i database.

I was looking for Oracle 9i Thin driver, but could not find any! The only I could find was Oracle 9i thin JDBC driver for Mac OS X. And I use Sun Solaris.

Questions:

1. I wonder what solutions ORACLE recommend for a case like this???
2. Is it better to use OCI or Thin drivers (difference?)?
3. which is performance IMPROVED?

This is how I create my connection pools:

#The oci815_8 driver is in use.

#Oracle 8i

weblogic.jdbc.connectionPool.O8iPool=\
url=jdbc:weblogic:oracle,\
driver=weblogic.jdbc.oci.Driver,\
props=user=o8iusr;password=o8ipwd;server=O8iServer;weblogic.oci.min_bind_size=2000

#Oracle 9i

weblogic.jdbc.connectionPool.O9iPool=\
url=jdbc:weblogic:oracle,\
driver=weblogic.jdbc.oci.Driver,\
props=user=o9iusr;password=o9ipwd;server=O9iServer;weblogic.oci.min_bind_size=2000

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! best regards, John. Received on Mon Mar 18 2002 - 02:54:55 CST