Re: User Rights

From: Patrick Meyer <buckeye234_at_excite.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:52:24 +0000 (UTC)

Kari,

SYS is the "all mighty user", as you put it. The sys account can do just about anything in the database.

SYSTEM is a little less powerful than SYS. SYSTEM can not start or stop the database.

Are you learing to be a DBA or a Developer?

You should also have a generic user SCOTT with password TIGER. This account has basic user privileges.

SYSDBA and SYSOPER are roles that are assigned to specific user. ROLES have privileges that are passed on to users who are assigned the role. As such, you can log into a role. You must log in as a user that has been assigned that role.

HTH,
Patrick