PL/SQL string parsing question

From: Xiaobin Guan <xiaguan_at_nhgri.nih.gov>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:19:07 -0500

Hello,

Here is what I need to do:
I have a varchar2 column, or maybe clob, saying it contains 500 characters (all letters, with no space in between). Then I need to take some characters out by order numbers, saying I don't need number 23 to 49, 148-169. Now I have three pieces left. The first one is from 1-22 (22 characters), The second one is from 50-147, and the third one is from 170 - 500. The last thing I need to do is compare these pieces and pick up the longest one.

Any idea how can I do these in PL/SQL?

Thanks a lot,
Xiaobin Received on Fri Mar 15 2002 - 08:19:07 CST