Re: adding a column with default value on a very large table

From: Frédéric Bachelier <fbacheli_at_capgemini.fr>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:04:44 +0100

Tom,

I thank you for answering again. But my last question is still open, because as I said we don't have enough space in the database nor on the disks to expand the database in order to recreate the table (create as select). So even this is the best way, we can't apply it.

About doing the "alter table XXX add YYYY default ZZZ" do you know how large would it be necessary for the rollback segments ? I ask only in our situation where we want to add a new column varchar(4) with the default value '0000'.

We thought of another solution : unloading the large table in several plain files, then reloading them with SQL*Loader which allows to add a new column to the structure of the table, with a default value, doesn't it ? (This solution would use less space if we do this zipping the plain files after the unload.)

Best regards,

Frédéric Bachelier Received on Fri Mar 15 2002 - 07:04:44 CST