Re: Oracle versus Microsoft Sqlserver 2000

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:29:28 GMT

>Been using DB2 for about 4 years and am now forced to use Oracle . So
>far Oracle is looking like a big piece of crap compared to DB2. Whats

Funny. Got exactly the same opinion about UDB, now that I have both running in my box... :-)

>with this SQL *PLUS Worksheet for one thing?

the same as CLP+DB2 in one single screen, no need for two processes.

>Still havent found a way
>to stop a query from executing...

Try not starting it? <g, d&r>

> Its the worst looking and using tool
>for a database I have ever seen. Google advice is to get a third
>-party tool(???) for queries.

Depends. You can try to use Toad (download it off the Net) if you like GUI-style tools. Or you can use the command line "sqlplus" instead of the windows-like "sqlplusw" which apparently you're using now.

> Db2 = all tools I need to excute
>queries.

Really? Then even sqlplus for Windows should suffice you. db2+clp is the most demented tool I've ever seen. Only a mainframe mind with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of the standard C library fork() call could have invented that piece of crud: a two-process client-side tool, indeed! What a load of crap...

Suggestion: read the sqlplus manual. You'll see what I mean when you find out about how to edit a statement on the fly, re-executing it, making it into a stored cursor and returning only the cursor, etcetc, without leaving the same tool. And using whatever editor you want, controlling the output columns/appearance, headers. And being able to call a sub-process to run a script. Or run it natively. Again, all from the same tool.

There is a LOT more to sqlplus than just that silly "SQL>" prompt. Which BTW you can change to anything you may want. I use "Yes, Mastah?:>". I've even seen one that used escape chars in a VT200 to generate a small image. That was a while ago and with someone that knew his VT terminals intimately. But it was fun!

> I will admit the javatools can be kinda buggy in Db2 but
>Oracle doesnt even come close to the functionality.

Actually, I find the DB2 Java tools less buggy than Oracle's. But Oracle's are *waaaay* ahead in functionality.

>Also Whats with
>one database per instance?? That another major setback.

What do you call a database? What do you call an instance? I know what. Just letting you know that what DB2 calls an instance and a database is not necessarily the same in Oracle. Even though the names might be.

>From what I've
>seen people get by this by having multiple schemas under one instance
>not good in my opinion.

Maybe not good if you run UDB, although I'd dispute that. From what I've seen, UDB has tremendous DBA-level control of the performance of different schemas in the same database. Better than Oracle 8i, probably not as good as 9i. The limitations/advantages of each product are completely different!

>For Oracle to be a database only company I
>would think they would have better tools and technology than Db2 or
>SQL Server but from what I see its not there.

You gotta be joking. Play a bit with Forms and then let me know where in DB2 do you have even a remotely similar tool. Or Designeer 6i. Or Reports. Or, to finish it off: JDeveloper 9i. Nope, WSAD is piss poor compared to JDev. Not even in the same class. As for DBA tools, try the full Enterprise Manager. Full install. Very good tool, nothing even similar in UDB.

> The one thing I have
>seen that I like is the little gui thing that shows you how the memory
>is being used by tablespaces and bufferpools. As far as SQL Server is
>concerned never has and never will be a real Relational Database. Yes
>good for small companies and tasks but would never use it in the
>Enterprise. Also I dont understand how some people tie themselves into
>Microsoft products..apparently there not doing their research...

Yup.
Bottom line:
Read the concepts manual from Oracle. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT try to draw parallels with the same terminology in DB2. A DB2 nodegroup is the nearest thing to an Oracle instance you'd find! The terms denote DIFFERENT things. Get the concepts manual sorted out and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Fri Mar 15 2002 - 06:29:28 CST