Delete Raw device datafiles.

From: Bernie <bernie.milosavljevic_at_wesley.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:42:24 GMT

Hi,

I have an Oracle 7.3 database running on AIX 4.3.3 using raw devices.

Recently I changed a tablespace which involed deleting the old tablespace and then re-creating it. When I had finished, I tried to reclaim my space but couldn't because the OS believed that the logical volume used for the datafile was still in use. I checked in dba_data_files and the device was no where to be found.

I have had the same problem in the past where to fix it I just bounced the database. At the time, the shutdown didn't cause a problem but now the option is not available to me. Is there a magic phrase that will force Oracle to let go of the raw device so that I can remove it?

Thanks,
Bernie. Received on Thu Mar 14 2002 - 18:42:24 CST