Re: Latest SCN in archive-log files

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 06:53:42 +1100

v#archived_log in the original database may help (it tells you the first change number of a log, not the last, though). But I question what it is that you are trying to achieve. Ordinarily, unless you are seeking to perform an incomplete recovery, and halt the application of redo before it would otherwise stop on its own, there is seldom a need to do a 'recover until change'. If you want a complete recovery, just 'recover database using backup controlfile' will do it (assuming you are using a backup control file!).

Usually, you use 'until change' recoveries to halt the recovery process just prior to some awful user error, like an inadvertent drop of a tablespace (actually quite hard to do inadvertently!). If it's a physical change to the database like that which you are seeking to avoid have happen again, use the alert log of the original database to find out the exact change number of the event.

Alternatively, use Log Miner to find out the specific change numbers associated with every transaction.

But as I say -are you sure you need to do an incomplete recovery in the first place?

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com