Re: ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespace_name> COALESCE

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:33:29 +0100

On 14 Mar 2002 09:55:52 -0800, tanya8g_at_yahoo.com (Tanya) wrote:

>So, why we ever need "ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespace_name> COALESCE;"
>command at all ?!?!?!

Because otherwise the automatic coalescing you describe will occur at random moments, whether they are peak hours or not. Please always bear in mind manipulating the (underlying) uet$ and fet$ tables is very expensive. Also this manipulation is called a S(pace)T(ransaction) and there can be only one of it. This is basically why the automatic coalescing with non-zero pctincrease has been invented.
There is only one real way to get rid of those problems and start breathing again: stop using dictionary managed tablespaces.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Mar 14 2002 - 12:33:29 CST