Re: DB restore problem

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:09:02 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> The error message shows you executed alter database open resetlogs on
> the database.
> By issuing the a resetlogs you begin a new era in the life of this
> database and anything before this era simply doesn't exist anymore.
> I'm afraid the only solution is a new recovery until time, this time
> of the *complete* database.

Not necessarily. It depends on the tablespace in question and when his last backup of that tablespace was taken. Please see the section "Recovering a Pre-RESETLOGS Backup" in your Oracle Backup and Recovery Guide. In short, if the tablespace in question was made read-only before the last backup, taken offline normal before the last backup, or was backed up after you finished recovery but before your opened resetlogs, then you have the possibility of recovering this datafile, even *after* a resetlogs operation.

Regards,
Sean Received on Thu Mar 14 2002 - 10:09:02 CST