Re: Error when renaming tempfile

From: Fraser McCallum <fmcc_at_removetoemail_odbaguru.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:35:24 +1100

Sorry I was a little bit off the mark with my initial statment. It's not because it's a temporary file that you can't rename it, rather it's because it's both locally managed and a temporary file! Sorry to have muddied the waters like that. With regards to Oracle documentation look at the last paragraph of the third chapter, named "Tablespace and Datafiles", in the Oracle 8i Concepts manual. Which for your convenience I have pasted below.

Temporary Datafiles
Locally managed temporary tablespaces have temporary datafiles (tempfiles), which are similar to ordinary datafiles except that:

Tempfiles are always set to NOLOGGING mode.

You cannot make a tempfile read-only.

You cannot rename a tempfile.

You cannot create a tempfile with the ALTER DATABASE statement.

Media recovery does not recognize tempfiles:

BACKUP CONTROLFILE does not generate any information for tempfiles.

CREATE CONTROLFILE cannot specify any information about tempfiles.

Tempfile information is shown in the dictionary view DBA_TEMP_FILES and the dynamic performance view V$TEMPFILE, but not in DBA_DATA_FILES or the V$DATAFILE view.

Kind Regards,

Fraser McCallum
MVP Oracle Administration
www.brainbench.com