8i Naming Conflicts & Confusion

From: MJB <mario_at_bosss.com>
Date: 13 Mar 2002 13:09:32 -0800

Dear DBA's & Oracle Fans:

I would appreciate your help in solving a service naming issue with an 8i for NetWare 5 installation. Here is the background: 8i is installed and the listener test completed successfully (LSNCTL80). Login thru SVRMGR31 was also successful. NWDBM81 shows the "servername-ORCL-beq.world" instance is running and the database is started.

Now, the problem is connecting to the 8i server using "Net8 Easy". I have used every possible combination of names & SID's & hosts I could find in: TNSNAMES.ORA; SQLNET.ORA; LISTENER.ORA, INIORCL.ORA, INIT.ORA, etc. I cannot login, despite the numerous attempts and combinations. I understand the default domain is "WORLD". I understand the default SID is "ORCL". I understand my "%ORACLE_HOME%" is ORACLE. I undestand the protocols in use are "TCP, IPC, SPX" despite my selection of TCP/IP only during installation. I know the default ports are 1521 & 1526.

Now, what other information is needed to construct a valid service name? The PDF manuals confuse the issue with conflicting instructions and with definitions of service names. Could someone please help me resolve this issue so that I could connect to the 8i server and begin working. I would appreciate any assistance at all! Thank you in advance for your help!

MJB Received on Wed Mar 13 2002 - 15:09:32 CST