Re: Trying to access deleted files

From: Uwe Schneider <uwe_at_richard-schneider.de>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:56:50 +0100

broom wrote:

> Trying to access files deleted under Solaris.
>
> I've got Solaris 7, Veritas Oracle Edition, and Oracle 8.1.7.
>
> I've got about 20 tables in 80GB, spread across many file systems.
>
> Or had.
>
> I've got a manager who played DBA on TV. He fat fingered a
> rm /u*/oradata/sid/.det*.dbf
>
> I did this 10 years ago, and Oracle was able to export the
> "deleted" data, since it is not gone until the last program
> closes the file.
>
> New Oracle does it a bit differently. According to tech
> support, the ONLY connections that will be able to see
> the data are ones active at the time. All new connections
> will spawn a new process, which can't see the files.

That's correct: according to the UNIX philosophy running processes still can access the data, but new processes won't see the directory entries, thus cannot open the files.

We had a similar "rm action" on Linux some months ago, but finally we could restore all datafiles, since they are referenced in the /proc filesytem as long as one process accesses them (the DBWR normally does). By copying them we could successfully save all datafiles and open the DB after shutdown and moving the files to the right locations. Maybe it is helpful to set all tablespaces in read-only mode before doing this.

Otherwise a complete media recovery is needed.

Hope it helps

Uwe

--
Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7244 / 609504
Haydnstr. 1         | Mail    uwe_at_richard-schneider.de