Re: Is this method of offline backup OK?

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:44:21 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> "Sean M" <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net> wrote in message
>
> Notice the last word... "online logs are not NEEDED". No, we agree... they
> are not "needed". But it also does no harm, remembering that paragraph's
> first proviso that it only applies to noarchivelog. So even the
> documentation is saying that, though it's not needed, it doesn't do any harm
> if they are included.

Agreed, for NOARCHIVELOG databases only. But why get into a habit that 1) does little for you if you're running in NOARCHIVE and 2) can seriously burn you for all your other ARCHIVELOG databases? Personally, I'd rather be consistent, and know I'm safe. That's my point, and, from the way I read the intro to the Oracle docco ("Although it may seem that you should back up online redo logs along with the datafiles and control file, this technique is dangerous." - note they haven't even begun discussing archive/noarchive, and they've already said the practice is dangerous), that's Oracle's point as well.

> Care to explain what you would do, in noarchivelog mode, when it comes time
> to restoring a cold backup missing the online logs? How will you get the
> database open without redo logs? Right: you'll have to sit there in the
> mount stage issuing 'alter database add logfile' commands. Fine if you know
> the syntax off the top of your head. Fine if you have the Big Boy's Book of
> Syntax ready to hand. Personally, I'd just as happily restore *.*, and
> issue the startup command.

Sorry, "alter database add logfile"? Why would I do that? Why wouldn't I just do an alter database clear logfile group "x"? That way I don't have to bother getting the file format correct, and I don't have to bother dropping the old groups.

> Yes, and then included a list of v$ which is mysteriously silent on the
> subject of archived logs.

There's no mystery - he's talking about offline backups, so there's absolutely no reason he'd need to worry about the info inluded in v$archived_log.

> Nothing he said indicates that he was in archivelog mode.
>
> And you *tend* to do cold backups when not.
>
> But if this is degenerating into a discussion about what someone else meant
> or implied, forget it. End of thread.

Agreed. The original post was ambiguous, which is why I took exception to your original advice (if you don't know his archive log status, the safer advice is not to backup the online redos) and your assertion that the archivelog status
was somehow "obvious." Was I picking nits? Probably. Trolling? Not really. But hey, and it made for an interesting discussion.

Have a great day,
Sean Received on Wed Mar 13 2002 - 14:44:21 CST