Re: Yet another recovery question

From: Syltrem <syltrem_at_videotron.spammenot.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:28:25 -0500

Thanks

item # 3 was what I was missing.

Without Rman :

      o. Mount the database and offline datafiles belonging to the
          tablespaces that aren't required

--

Syltrem
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site - en français)

"Hieraklion" <hieraklion_at_noos.fr> a écrit dans le message de news:
3C8F6FCD.2050106_at_noos.fr... 'Bonjour' from Paris, Without Rman : o. Restore the hot or cold database and controlfile backup o. Restore archived logs if required for recovery o. Mount the database and offline datafiles belonging to the tablespaces that aren't required o. Recover the database o. Open the database and drop the tablespaces whose datafiles have not been restored (and rebuild if desired) With Rman (RMAN) : Example 1 (media recovery): Target database mode: Database mounted RMAN> run { RMAN> allocate channel t1 type 'sbt_tape'; RMAN> restore database skip tablespace temp; RMAN> recover database skip tablespace temp; RMAN> sql "alter database open"; RMAN> sql "drop tablespace temp"; RMAN> sql "create tablespace temp datafile ''<filename>''"; RMAN> } Example 2 (no media recovery): Target database mode : Database mounted RMAN> run { RMAN> allocate channel t1 type 'sbt_tape'; RMAN> restore database skip tablespace temp; RMAN> sql "alter database datafile ''<temp datafile>'' offline drop"; RMAN> sql "alter database open"; RMAN> sql "drop tablespace temp"; RMAN> sql "create tablespace temp datafile ''<filename>''"; RMAN> }
" Au revoir" from Paris
Hieraklion Syltrem wrote: I am restoring a database for someone to re-run a report.As not every tablespace / datafile is needed for this report, I did notrestore all datafiles.I sometimes do this without problems as the un-needed tablespaces usuallyare not active and thus there are not transactions for those in the archivelog files.What would happen if there were activities in the tablespaces not restored ?Would the recovery fail because some of the transactions could not bere-run?Thanks for your input.--Syltremhttp://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site - en français)To reply to myself directly, remove .spammenot from my address