Re: What is Oracle doing during statup?

From: koert54 <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:20:46 +0100

Oracle does not perform an instance recovery when a shutdown immediate was previously given.
An instance recovery implies replaying the transactions since the last checkpoint
from redologs .
All shutdown options (normal, immediate, transactional) - except 'abort' - perform a checkpoint
when shutting down the database so there's no need for instance recovery when starting up.

Most probably in your case the database was given a shutdown abort and at the first
startup an instance recovery will occur ... resulting in replaying redo, rebuilding buffercache,
rollbacking unfinished transactions etc ...