Re: Is it Any free Oracle Version for development ?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 13 Mar 2002 02:40:28 -0800

"RSH" <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<UEAj8.5968$tP2.567249_at_bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> JIM! (stand in the corner)
>
> Carlos, the downloadable software that Oracle Corporation provides is meant
> for use at home or at school for educational purposes, or even at home if
> you're say a system operator and want to teach yourself Oracle. It is fully
> functional software, but it is based on the honor system.
>
> It's okay to play with it at home or at college or wherever. It is seriously
> NOT okay to bring any finished works you have created using these tools to a
> place where you or your employer or others would make profit or otherwise
> gain from the generosity of Oracle Corporation in making this stuff
> available for free.

I disagree with you, RSH. I think that using downloaded SW for purpose specified by Carlos is OK. Oracle's license rights says: "We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the programs only for purposes of developing and prototyping your applications that operate with the programs, and not for any other purpose."
In his case, he is definitely "developing and prototyping" his application, so there is no need for buying an ordinary licence. If he's writing his application for inhouse use, then he would pay a license fee, when application hits the production. If he wants to sell his work, then license fee would pay his customer (customers) before using this application as productional.
Nothing bad in either case.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.