Re: Is this method of offline backup OK?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:08:49 +1100

Comments below.
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"Sean McKeown" <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > It's fine. Technically you don't have to include the online redo logs,
but
> > cold backups with them are a bit simpler to restore.
>
> And a really bad idea to backup as a general practice. Oracle
> recommends against backing up your online redo logs.
No it doesn't. It says absolutely never to back them up when taking *hot* backups, but states that backing them up for a cold, whilst technically not necessary, can make restoration easier.
>See the Oracle
> Backup and Recovery Guide. Backing up online redos is dangerous because
> you may 1) accidentally restore them after a crash, overwriting
> transactions in the existing online redos
If you are performing COLD BACKUPS then you've lost those transactions anyway, assuming that you are taking cold backups because you are not in archivelog. The subject of this thread you may note is OFFLINE (ie, cold) backups. And given the list of V$ views the original poster included as part of his backup routine, I took it as obvious that the man is not in archivelog mode.
>and 2) if you do restore a
> cold backup including online redos, you will generate multiple timelines
> for redo - i.e. you will generate multiple copies of archive logs with
> the same name and sequence number, again causing confusion (and possibly
> corruption) in the event of a recovery.

Again, you have assumed he is in archivelog mode. I rather assumed he wasn't. Your advice is perfectly sound when archivelog is enabled, but rather redundant otherwise. Regards HJR