Re: Why still active? (was Re: lost of redo logs)

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 04:53:17 GMT

Jeff wrote:
> Russell) wrote:
>
> >2. Not sure what you mean by current v active.
>
> Oracle's definition of "active" in this context is that the redo log is still
> needed for recovery... ie., that it hasn't been archived off yet.

No. A status of 'ACTIVE' has nothing to do with wheter or not the logfile has been archived. See your Oracle Documentation:

"ACTIVE
Indicates the log is active but is not the current log. It is needed for crash recovery. It may be in use for block recovery. It might or might not be archived. "

> The thing that bothers me about this is that, from my brief experience, the
> previously "current" redo log remains "active" until another log switch occurs
> (perhaps several hours later), whereupon it becomes "inactive," and I'm not
> sure why that is, since the archiver should backup the archive log immediately
> after the switch from current. Anyone know why that would be?

You're waiting for a checkpoint to complete.

Regards,
Sean Received on Tue Mar 12 2002 - 22:53:17 CST