Re: Is it Any free Oracle Version for development ?

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 04:33:56 GMT

JIM! (stand in the corner)

Carlos, the downloadable software that Oracle Corporation provides is meant for use at home or at school for educational purposes, or even at home if you're say a system operator and want to teach yourself Oracle. It is fully functional software, but it is based on the honor system.

It's okay to play with it at home or at college or wherever. It is seriously NOT okay to bring any finished works you have created using these tools to a place where you or your employer or others would make profit or otherwise gain from the generosity of Oracle Corporation in making this stuff available for free.

To hold up your end of the bargain, at least, if you do have a finished work based in Oracle, please make sure that your site is licensed for that release or higher, and check with your site administrator to be double sure, before it is put online.

The system has worked a long time; it is up to everyone to keep it going. Think of those that come after you, and reflect on what a deal you got to experiment and develop in one of the most advanced database environments in the world. Don't let us down.

Jim left out a few sentences: Sign up for Oracle Technology Network, and you will have access to many bright and beautiful things. And neat stuff, too. Be sure to subscribe to Oracle Magazine (free) and, depending (how embarrassing) uh well if you are still in school and a business oriented type, Oracle's PROFIT magazine. I find both very useful and enlightening; it helps to know some of the folks that write there.

I never want to see Oracle turn into another Microsoft; you can download PO, or nearly anything else, based upon your personal honor. The system must work. (A credit card can usually get a CD copy of what you need, rather than spending forever downloading it; but the Honor System still applies.)

If it is for your own personal use at home as an educational / training experience, and if you have sufficient space and resources, I would sooner see you use the Oracle Enterprise Edition and become familiar with the features and extensibility that platform provides.

Sorry for meddling, just think of it as advice from one who wishes he could have been there when there were such things as PC's at home.

Sorry to interrupt, Jim.