Query Optimization

From: Rich Pinder <rpinder_at_usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:55:17 -0800

Dont know if this list is the proper place to ask this, but here goes:

I've got a select statement that runs SO slowly, and I'm sure it's because I'm missing something about select syntax that Oracle uses.

here's a simple description:
I have very large tables for NAMETABLE, ADDTABLE, AND TELETABLE. I have tiny table for SMALLIST.

the sql i use must be interpreted by the optimizer to join all the large tables first, then do the sub'select on the very small table.

What I want to do is get the small table processed first (this will surely make things run much faster).

heres the select:

select DISTINCT a.name, b.add, c.tele, d.code  from nametable a, addtable b, teletable c, smallist d

  where d.id = c.id	AND
	c.id = b.id	AND
	b.id = a.id	AND
	b.id2 = a.id2	AND
	   c.id IN
		(select id from smallist);	<---- this is the small table

Thanks for any thoughts.

rich Received on Tue Mar 12 2002 - 19:55:17 CST