why is oracle 8.15 substituting # for £

From: zdy <zdyzoo_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 12 Mar 2002 02:45:32 -0800

Hi,
I'm new to oracle and have just working with a big existing DB with no documentation. When text is entered into the database, through ADO & ODBC or through the SQL interface in Toad, £ symbols are replaced with #. There are no triggers on this table and the data type is Varchar2. I'm able to work around the problem by using replace functions at the middle tier, but I would really like to know why this is happening. Thanks,
Zdy Received on Tue Mar 12 2002 - 04:45:32 CST