BFILE & BLOB question (Binary file from the client machine)

From: Noel P <noelp1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Mar 2002 16:17:34 -0800

Hi

I don't have a lot of experience in Oracle. Can somebody help me here. This is
what I am trying to do.

I have an application where the personal information is stored. Name, DOB, Sex, Address etc. Along with that I have to store a picture of the person.

When I enter a new record (FROM THE CLIENT MACHINE USING SQL*FORMS), I have the
picture on my local machine, say C:\PERSONAL\PHOTO1.jpg.

  1. How do you put it into the Oracle table on the server?

Now, I have read a lot on BLOB/BFILE etc. If I use a BFILE, it talks about creating logical directory and stuff, but not clear on whether the file should be in a directory on the server or client. Do I have to upload this file to the server first manually, OR I CAN UPLOAD THE LOCAL FILE ON THE CLIENT MACHINE TO THE SERVER USING AN SQL STATEMENT. (Or any other way to do it from my SQL*forms client).

2. Now, how can I extract the file from the database to a local directory, again on the client.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Noel Received on Mon Mar 11 2002 - 18:17:34 CST