Re: Getting started....

From: damorgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:09:09 GMT

Go to http://store.oracle.com. Spend $39 and buy the Oracle 8i demo pack. Install it on your personal computer. Get a good beginning book on Oracle that contains exercises and lots of simple examples and run through the book twice. Find a mentor to work with you either here on-line or in person. See if any local community colleges have classes in SQL.

This is the easy part. Then try to find a developer job and work at it for between 2 and 4 years until you really understand what it is like to develop and test on an Oracle platform. Then ask again about becoming a DBA. For every person like you that has no experience and wants to be a DBA there are at least 10 experienced developers that would make better employees (though they might not be as cheap).

Daniel Morgan