Re: Error when renaming tempfile

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:35:44 GMT

When the DB is shut down, use the UNIX cp command (simpler) or NT copy (or do it by the GUI) to copy your temp file to the new location, THEN tell Oracle where to look for it.

RENAME only repoints, it does not do the rest for you, and actually that is a good thing.

RSH. "bdick" <bdick_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:Rf9j8.7847$E_3.836769_at_news2.east.cox.net...
> Oracle 8.1.7
> Windows2K
>
> I am moving my database files to different disk drives and everything is
> fine for the datafiles and logfiles. But when I try to rename a tempfile I
> get an error. I double checked the spelling and the file exists in both
the
> old and new location. What else could be wrong?
>
> alter database rename file 'C:\DISK1\TS_TEMP.DBF' to
'C:\DISK0\TS_TEMP.DBF'
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01511: error in renaming log/data files
> ORA-01516: nonexistent log file, datafile or tempfile
'C:\DISK1\TS_TEMP.DBF'