Question about Oracle Forms

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rkg100_at_erols.com>
Date: 11 Mar 2002 09:46:51 -0800

I know this is the DBA forum, but Ive found that the most senior people tend to frequent this group. Now that Im done sucking up... here is my question.

Im maintaining an application. I load a .fmb form and I look at the datablock wizard. Ill see several columns in the in the Available Columns area that are not in the database at the present time. I see no items in the database items column. However, I have a bunch of database items in this block. I hit the refresh button(which I guess is just doing a desc or checking user_tab_columns?) and I get the new list of columns. The 2 columns that were not in the database are gone.

However, it now lists all the columns that are in the block and are database items as being available. When I try to add them again, the form wont load. It crashes on startup. If I dont add them again after hitting the describe all the relationships are screwed up.

On another form I simply deleted and re-added the block. This fixed the problem. Before I do this again please let me know if Im correct.

  1. Refresh essentially equals describe
  2. The columns listed as being available that are not in the database are because this form was made against a different data model.
  3. The fact that none of my database items that are in the block are recognized as database items by the datablock wizard either before or after I hit refresh has to do with the fact that they were added against a different data model.
  4. When I hit the refresh button, this creates some kind of conflict in the form between the "database items" that are present and what forms sees in the database.

How close am I?

Ryan Received on Mon Mar 11 2002 - 11:46:51 CST