Re: How to access Oracle database from another computer?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:36:17 GMT

"Daniele Cincinnati" <daniele.cincinnati_at_prometeia.it> wrote:

>I've installed Oracle 8.1.7 on my computer and I want to access my Oracle
>database with Delphi from another computer of the same LAN. Which components
>do I have to install?

You need the Oracle Client installation - in particular, you need to install an Oracle Protocol Adapter (e.g. TCP/IP) and the Net8 (called SQL*Net previously).

I also suggest that you install SQL*Plus - this will enable you to properly test your connectivity to an Oracle database. In addition, installing SQL*Plus ensures that all dependancies are installed (including Net8 and the protocol adapter).

On the Delphi side. You need BDE and/or DBExpress. DBExpress is a lightweight native interface to Oracle. It is not intended for serious client server work.

With BDE you have two choices. Native Oracle access (assuming you have the Enterprise or Client Server versions of Delphi) via BDE.

ODBC access to Oracle - in which case you need to install Oracle ODBC drivers (available from Oracle, Microsoft, Visigenic and others). Also ensure that your MDAC version is up to date.

--
Billy