Re: sqlldr & date/time question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 11 Mar 2002 02:16:53 -0800

ganesh_at_gtfs-gulf.com (Ganesh Raja) wrote in message news:<a8aed4.0203102328.2f572321_at_posting.google.com>...
> Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<3ugm8ucsotfs6290c4s59vltomqbsekln4_at_4ax.com>...
> > On 09 Mar 2002 22:34:08 GMT, ktyson9426_at_aol.com (KTyson9426) wrote:
> >
> > >Hello.... And thank you in adnvace for anyones help
> > >
> > >I want to use sqlldr to load the date/time into the same date field in my
> > >table. I can get the date in there ok, and I can get the time in with the use
> > >of a different field, but I can't find anything that tells me how to do get the
> > >date/time in the same field. I've found how to do this with an 'insert'
> > >statement, but I need to use sqlldr..... Can anyone tell me how to format the
> > >*.ctl file? Currently I have;
> > >
> > >load data
> > >infile *
> > >append into table vmstat
> > >fields terminated by ","
> > >(ddate, ttime, vmstat)
> > >begindata
> > >30-Jan-02, 0122, 'data'
> >
> > Just specify an appropiate mask
>
> He Wants to Concatenate The Fields ... Is there Anyway to do that in
> SQL LDR.
>
> Is Time and Date are in two different Fields in the DataFile how do u
> get it into one single field.
>
> It would Be feasible if he uses a Temporary Table But If needs it only
> thru SQL Server is that possible.
>

> > Please check out
> > http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76955/ch05.htm#20660
> >
> > Hth
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> > To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
>

> Regards,
> Ganesh R

You can use anything in your format mask including , Obviously he need to use position (x:y) to make clear he is only loading two columns instead of three.
An alternative would of course be defining a before insert trigger on the target table.
Your assertion that Oracle doesn't have temporary tables is incorrect, at least in 8i and higher. You can create global temporary tables.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Mar 11 2002 - 04:16:53 CST