Re: How DBA stuff should a Developer learn?

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 20:17:35 -0000

> > > Posted this on .misc by accident. There are alot more DBA's here... so
> > > decided to try here...
> > >
> > > I have been a developer for about 18 months now and Ive started
delving into
> > > the DBA side of Oracle. I have read the concepts manual and am now
reading
> > > the manual on performance tuning. Ill have to read both of those
atleast
> > > twice to really pick up all the information. Im slowly reading Tom
Kyte's
> > > book as well. Its slow going since most of it is new information.
> > >
> > > Ive noticed that many "senior" developers do not bother to learn this
side
> > > of it. What Im learning now is really opening my eyes to alot of
things that
> > > I just took for granted. I open a cursor, ok it does what I want. Its
pretty
> > > useful to know what is going on and how its being processed.
> > >
> > > I dont think I want to become a DBA. Ill probably head down the data
> > > modelling/business rules route in time, however, I think that in order
to be
> > > an elite professional in Oracle I should learn more about the database
side.

> > > Howard Rogers recommended Practical 8i. Does anyone have any other
> > > recommendations on specifics of what I should learn?
> > >
> > > Also, Im leaning towards getting a Masters in Software Engineering at
George
> > > Mason... how useful is a Masters in this business? I dont have a CS
degree
> > > and I have found that that limits my options.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Ryan Gaffuri
>
> Yes there is a LOT of info in that book.....
>
> ... and the vast majority of it is wrong.
>
> Trust me - (and no I'm not on commission) - take a look at the Jonathan
> Lewis book (practical 8i) for DBA, and Thomas Kyte book (one-on-one) for
> developers.
>
> Its trivial to find serious holes in Niemic's methodology
>
> Cheers
> Connor
> --
> Connor McDonald
>
> http://www.oracledba.co.uk
>
> "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue..."

Just my 2c...

I'm not familiar withe Neimic book, so I can't comment on that. Lewis and Kyte are probably *the* two must haves, but I recall in the dim and distant past an O'Reilly work (Oracle Performance Tuning?) by (I think) Corrigan and Gurry, which I found excellent. If it's been updated, I'd suggest it's also worth a look.

HTH,
Paul Received on Sat Mar 09 2002 - 14:17:35 CST