Re: SQL*NET V1 V2 Migration

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 23:35:33 GMT

Well in our case we left the V1 listener running for a good long time, "just in case" and turned on logging to see who or what might still be talking to it, and tracked down and weeded out those folks and got them onto V2/MTS/Names.

V2 and Names came up; 1526 as Names and 1525 as the V2 service; since we cut over to Names all the sqlnet files had to be changed a bit, which was done manually, sadly enough. If we had had MSBO with SMS that would have been easier.

Oracle Names forever frees you from worrying about TNSNAMES changes again; if you want to be extra cautious have the server startup login scripts replace lmhosts, sqlnet.ora, and tnsnames.ora as well, to guard against the names server being down.

If all your 8,000 desktops out there are part of some LAN or other, and they already currently have the V2 suite then migrating them to V2 via a simple logon script that even a Novell server could run, could work. I'd feel more comfortable using Microsoft's SMS to do a mass update to your client machines, pushing the latest Oracle Net8 stuff down to them.

But again, the multiple $ORACLE_HOME thing could be a problem; SMS can give you an inventory of what is on each machine.

I've been where you are; our user community were a far less uniform bunch, and so we needed very often to send someone out to see just what was wrong and fix it, until we had a stable, standardized platform.

RSH. "Scott Mills" <scott.mills_at_uk2.net> wrote in message news:31bi8.8322$nt.1254394_at_news11-gui.server.ntli.net...
> [...]
> users don't even need it. We know who needs it or not, but not who is
> running what...
>
> We could just turn off the V1 listener and see who complains but we don't
> want to go down that route, and out IT deprt is snowed under with other
more
> pressing things which prevent a full upgrade.
>
> The users use a program called "Forest and Trees" - Ok, not my choice
> either... and so have not altered TNSNAMES, pointers etc.
>
> As for the community we are looking at very few are particulary PC
literate
> so we are not hoping for too many problems with people playing with
> settings...
>

> "RSH" <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Ah, why not just convert them all, regardless, we only had about 1,000
or
> so
> > machines, but we just went WHUMP and migrated everyone to SQL*NET V2,
> Oracle
> > Names, and MTS. Just upgrade regardless! If they are at the current
> release,
> > bueno. The script idea is fine, except for the case where you have
people
> > running both (ecch).
> >
> > Is this a standard, TNSNAMES and SQLNET.ORA type deal on each desktop,
and
> > two $ORACLE_HOMEs, one for 16 bit and one for 32 bit? Have the users
been
> > allowed to edit TNSNAMES and hosts etc to create their own pointers to
> > databases? And build ODBC data sources upon that? Are you using DNS to
> > resolve hostnames?
> >
> > The more they've been doing on their own, the less clean this will be.
> >
> > Well a key is have they only one $ORACLE_HOME? Or one for each wordsize?
> >
> > What sort of user community are you serving? The ah less tricky and
astute
> > they are, chances are the easier all this will be.
> >
> > RSH.
> >
> > "Scott Mills" <scott.mills_at_uk2.net> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > For some time we have been running SQL*NET V1 & V2 on our servers and
> > we're
> > > planning on turning off the V1 listener pretty soon. We have around
> 8000
> > NT
> > > client machines on site and they are running either SQL*NET V1, V2 or
> > both.
> > > We need to know what machine is doing what so we can upgrade where
> > > necessary.
> > >
> > > I intend to write a small DOS script that writes out the machine name,
> IP
> > > Address, username and what version of sqlnet that the NT box is
running.
> > > will then place this script into the NT logon scripts, hence I shall
be
> > able
> > > to get all the data I need to grab very quickly so we can upgrade the
V1