Re: Hot Standby questions on nesting Alter tablespace begin backup's

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 23:50:57 +0100

On 8 Mar 2002 14:32:11 -0800, boblai_at_yahoo.com (Bob) wrote:

>Is it permissible to nest the following:
>
> alter tablespace <table 1> begin backup
> alter tablespace <table 2> begin backup
> alter tablespace <table 2> end backup
> alter tablespace <table 1> end backup
>
>What I do in the middle is not lengthy, I'm doing a
>disk mirror suspend. I need to have a complete but
>consistent set of tablespaces, control files, and
>logs so that I can recover from this set in the
>event of a disaster.
>
>TIA
>
>Bob
>
>PS Sorry if this hits the news group twice: stuttering pinky finger

Technically speaking it is possible, but it is strongly advised against. The reason for this is that when disaster strikes in the middle of your 'disk mirror suspend', whatever that is, you end up recovering everything.
If you didn't do that already, follow the books link of www.hjrdba.com, the site of Howard Rogers, and download the 80 page course on backup of recovery. Otherwise, following your own methodology, you might be in for a few nasty surprises.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Mar 08 2002 - 16:50:57 CST