Re: How can create a BIG TABLE

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 19:00:22 +0100

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 09:48:12 +0100, "mtbe" <tahar.bellem_at_ctrceal.caisse-epargne.fr> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Can anyone say me which value of INITIAL_EXTENT, NEXT_EXTENT,MINEXTENTS,...
>should i set to create the table PG_transaction ?
>What could be the impact in performance to choose a big NEXT_EXTENT (like 2
>Go) ?
>
>Oracle : 8.1.7
>TableName : PG_transaction
>RowSize : 677 Octets
>Nb ROWS : 20 000 000 Rows
>Acces : Insert/Delete/Update/Select
>Blocksize : 4K
>Kind Application : OLTP
>

>Thanks for your answers.

The formula should be to calculate the size of your table should be listed in the Oracle DBA manual.
Other than that TOAD has an option to estimate the table size.

The impact in performance of choosing a big extent would be exactly 0, and most likely detrimental to performance, especially when using dictionary managed tablespaces. How do you think the kernel is going to find 2G contiguous?

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Mar 08 2002 - 12:00:22 CST