Re: Oracle versus Microsoft Sqlserver 2000

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:21:20 GMT

>Is that why an Oracle DBA is a 'preferred' occupation when considering
>migrating to Australia as a 'skilled independent' migrant. I get extra
>points for being an Oracle DBA and more for having OCP, all I need now
>is to be accepted ......

That must be old hat. My advice? Don't come. ORACLE DBA market in Australia is dead. Kaput. Gone. Don't forget that it takes years for these things to "percolate" through to the immigration people.

Oracle, a bunch of stupid headhunters and the outsourcing companies killed it years ago, it just hasn't registered yet.

In the last 16 months there hasn't been one (1!!!) contract for Oracle DBA anywhere in Sydney. Not one! Oh, you see plenty of them from the headhunter web-sites. All fake, without a SINGLE exception. All that happens is the headhunter gets hold of your resume and keeps pushing you for the wrong jobs at the wrong rates.

If you want a permanent job as a DBA, you have to compete with all the contractors out of work and willing to get anything at this stage. Which means even permanent salaries are out the window and lower in some cases than A/Ps and other jobs.

Remember what I said: not worth it. Do whatever you want, of course. Says a lot for the value of spending ANY $$$ getting an OCP here...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Fri Mar 08 2002 - 04:21:20 CST