Re: CONFESSION TIME.

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:10:33 -0000

"RSH" <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:1oRh8.20440$106.1660697_at_bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> But, bottom line, mate, "that feature should not have behaved in the
manner
> you have described" and sounds like a big bloody bug to me. OEM
{qualifying.
> OEM on NT running against Oracle 8.x on Solaris, HP-UX, NCR UNIX} would
barf
> and say ixnay to shrinking past the point of the "No more data here"
marker.

It also says it on NT (I have checked and rechecked). Oracle support suggest that the file that was shrunk actually had some block corruption (presumably in an empty part of the datafile if that makes any sense). So I guess Oracle did check to see if it was safe to shrink the file 9there being no data there it was) but didn't check the integrity of the file. My gut feeling is still that the root cause was a 11gb file on NTFS and Oracle bugs with handling large datafiles. I have asked support to see if they can come up with explanations for the corruption but I guess this might be wishful thinking.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA