Re: Fastest way to check for dupes

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:05:22 GMT

"Ryan Gaffuri" <rkg100_at_erols.com> wrote:

>They feel that adding another table will make the datamodel too complex. Ive
>done this for 18 months. Dont have the leverage that alot of you have. :(

<lead pipe>
Tell the asses in management that there is a big difference in the physical implementation of a data model, and the logical data model itself.

Sorry, but people like that just rubbed me the wrong way Ryan - and unlike Thomas, I have failed office diplomacy 101.

I've had managers in the past trying to tell me what column, table and even tablespace names I should use. Managers manage people, time and money. They are not capable of making technical decisions. And no, I would not even add a IMO to that as this is a simple fact.

We get paid to do the technical side. They get paid to do the management side. We do not tell them how to manage. Why on earth do they want to insists on making the technical decisions for us?

Whether or not you use an interim working table to determine the rowids of the duplicate rows for deletion, is _NOT_ a decision for them to make. Period.
</lead pipe>

--
Billy