Moving database from one machine to another

From: James Bond <james_at_bond.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:53:34 -0500

I have a cold backup in the form of a tar archive on tape from one database that I want to restore onto another machine.

  1. The tar archive has absolute pathnames
  2. I want the new database on the new machine to have a different name
  3. I want to completely move the files for the new database to different locations (the old database didnt follow OFA and I want to remedy this)

Here is what I was thinking of doing:

  1. Restore the tar archive from tape to the new locations on disk as follows:

   pax -r -f /dev/rmt/0 -s,old1,new1,p -s,old2,new2,p ... -s,oldN,newN,p old1 old2 ... oldN

where oldN is the old FULL pathname of each database file and newN is the new place I want it written to.

This will move all the files of the old database to the new OFA compliant locations I want.

2. Change the init.ora file to point to the new controlfile locations

3. sqlplus /nolog
connect internal
startup nomount
create controlfile set database NEWSID
logfile ....
datafile ....
noresetlogs;

This will recreate the controlfile pointing to all the new file locations.

4. alter database open;

Any problems with this?

Any comments and tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks Received on Thu Mar 07 2002 - 19:53:34 CST