Re: CONFESSION TIME.

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 21:58:21 GMT

OH, Niall, how COULD you?

(I hate when people say things like that. Like that really helps. "Oh my, why didn't you install sprinklers? as your house, barn, office building , etc, burns to ash)

I have been suspicious of auto-extend (that's set on a file basis, I believe, correct?), quasi-suspicious of "unlimited extents"

I use raw i/o so much that autoextend for datafiles is irrelevant to me; I make sure blocksize is big, and unless I died at the keyboard, managing and collapsing extents out of control isn't too bad. If they enhance Oracle to do autoextends by allocating from a given raw partition list, I'd be more interested.

OEM has been reliable for me in shrinking unused space, and for invoking coalescing (though that is easy enough to do in sqlplus or svrmgrl); that bit about having to have a nonzero PCTwhatever for Oracle to automatically coalesce freespace still galls me and I fail to see the reason. But I am just a stupid DBA grunt.)

But, bottom line, mate, "that feature should not have behaved in the manner you have described" and sounds like a big bloody bug to me. OEM {qualifying. OEM on NT running against Oracle 8.x on Solaris, HP-UX, NCR UNIX} would barf and say ixnay to shrinking past the point of the "No more data here" marker.

I hope you TARred and feathered the guilty parties, and best of luck with this, ick.