Re: Oracle versus Microsoft Sqlserver 2000

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rkg100_at_erols.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2002 13:15:42 -0800

SQL Server has a few advantages over Oracle on the low end.

  1. Price-- Its alot cheaper than Oracle. There are alot of lower end applications out there that do not need what Oracle has to offer. If your just gonna do a simple inventory OLTP with a few screens to access it and only a few users, you really dont need to pay for Oracle. If your running a business you have to watch your costs if you want to stay in business. Small businesses really cant afford Oracle.
  2. Though I do not know this from experience SQL Server and Sybase are much easier for a novice and junior person to use. Doesn't SQL Server have lots of wizards etc... On the surface this makes it look like a better product. As I said if your on the low or middle end this may have benefits. They dont have to pay one of us to come out there and do it for them. However, if someone specifically tells you that Sybase or SQL Server are better products than Oracle they really dont know anything. Its one of those benchmarks that you can use to judge someones technical knowledge.

One advantage Americans having in the Oracle business is the size of the US government. The US budget this year is about $2 trillion. I think the only country that has a bigger GDP than that is Japan. So that would make the US government the third largest economy in the world. They love Oracle... and after 9/11 many agencies are only hiring US citizens even for unclassified projects.

Ryan Gaffuri