Re: cloning a db

From: <SUSOTT_at_amnutrition.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:24:32 -0700

"Murali" <oraclems_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:22e6597b.0203061834.655a6283_at_posting.google.com...
> Like you said in your first post, you cannot mix files from the DEV
> database and PLAY database. Did you copy the datafiles belonging to
> both the DEV database and the PLAY database to a single location (the
> trace file location, as you point out in the first post), then add ALL
> these datafile names to the CREATE CONTROLFILE script ? If you did,
> the clone (if you can call it that, since you are mixing datafiles)
> will fail. You cannot add datafiles from one database to another by
> using the cloning process. Try transportable tablespaces for that. If
> I have totally misread/misunderstood your post, sorry.
>
> A clone in your case would be you copying the DEV database files from
> the first machine to the second machine and renaming it to a new
> database PLAY (but without any datafiles from the old PLAY itself).
>
> Murali
> http://www.dbaquest.com/

All of he data files were copied from the old database and these replaced the datafiles in the new database, so that no new files were left. Should I have brought the new database up with the same name first, copied the files over, restarted with copied files, and then renamed the database? Received on Thu Mar 07 2002 - 10:24:32 CST