Re: Advice needed. learning how to make an oracle DB

From: Marek Zyskowski <mzyskowski_at_aptilon.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:38:14 -0500

You will find that Oracle and Access are very diffrent. Oracle Administration is more thinking about transactions, logs, sizing stuff. Access is more of a drag drop point click kinna environment. You really need to understand what transactions are doing like DML and DDL statements. Once you get a grip on that a lot on that the way oracle is set up begins to make sense. Access is like a big dumb file with some data in it.

  1. If you want to change any interesting parameters, the best solution is to install Oracle for Windows 2000 on a powerful desktop. Then you can change all the parameters you want. If there is a spare Unix machine even better. The best thing you could do in both cases is to install all the software yourself.
  2. Setting up an environment for you to create tables and add records is easy. Anything else is not. Sometimes even that is not a good idea. Here is an example, there may be a database that has both an Application and the Oracle DB. The server may have been purchased as a Turn-Key system and the DBA may not be involved in the original configuration. So the DBA basically checks the backups, capacity and a few other minor things. It would be stupid to start creating accounts on this system so some can experiment. Experimentation may cause a performance problem. Who knows? Best to stick to #1.

Marek Zyskowski
mzyskowski_at_aptilon.com