Any side-effects for using "natime" File systems for Oracle on Unix? Thanks

From: Reza <reza_at_digital-dispatch.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:18:55 -0000

Hi Guys

I recently saw a performance benchmark article on Linux file system. According to this article Linux does an update on the "Last-time Read" attribute of any file it accesses to read. This article claimes that the io can be cut in half if we disable this update (very hard to believe!). I think the same behaviour exists in HP-UX 10.20 as well (has a "noatime" attribute on file systems).

We run Oracle 8.0.5 servers on dedicated HP 9000 machines, HP-UX 10.20. I wonder if I disable the "update last read time" on Oracle datafiles by "chattr +A file_name", would there be any side-effects on the Oracle behaviour?

Many thanks for any advise and suggestions.

Regards

Reza Received on Thu Mar 07 2002 - 07:18:55 CST