Sequence Table

From: Jason Webber <webber_at_mminternet_spam.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 20:40:56 -0800

I need a way to have a sequence for a given amount of mobile assets for a messaging system. Each message gets assigned a sequence number. Each mobile asset needs to have its own sequence to get the next number from. I don't think creating a sequence object for each mobile asset sounds appropriate in this case since I would have to create a new sequence each time I add a mobile asset. Right now there could very easily be 500,000 of these mobile assets. I thought of just creating a table, with a varchar2 being a unique descriptor of a mobile asset and another column representing the sequence number. Is there a better way to do this so that two threads in my application that are running and try to get the next sequence number don't end up with the same number.

TIA Received on Wed Mar 06 2002 - 22:40:56 CST