cloning a db

From: <SUSOTT_at_amnutrition.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 16:26:15 -0700

Attached are init.ora and ccf.sql(modified trace file).

I am attempting to clone an Oracle database. I have 2 PCs running W2K and the database is 8.1.7.0. In accordance with a set of procedures from Google, I backed up the control fille to trace and edited it. (Changing the sid name to the new name and added 'set' to the create controlfile.) I shutdown the database and then copied all of the data files specified in the trace file to a different location. I copied the trace file and init file to the same location. Finished with the origional database, I opened it.

New machine:
I installed Oracle off of the CD naming the sid with the new name (play). I verified everything was running and even connected from a client machine. I shut down the instance, copied all data files to the location in the trace file. Verified I had no reference to the old sid in the init.ora and trace files, and copied them to c:\oracle\admin\play\pfile\*.* (overwriting the origional init.ora file.)
Skipped making the new service as the sid isn't changing. performed startup nomount pfile=c:\oracle\admin\play\pfile\init.ora. ran the modified trace file to create the new instance. This gave me ORA-01161: database name PLAY in file header does not match given name of DEV.
Oracle tells me don't mix data files.
I then manually tried to open database and received this error ORA-01110: data file 1: C:\oracle\oradata\play\SYSTEM01.dbf" ORA-01206: file is not part of this database - wrong database id.

Long preface, Questions are: Does the system01.dbf have the instance name inside? How can it then be changed? If I don't copy that file, but every other file, will that produce a consistant database? What have I missed? Received on Wed Mar 06 2002 - 17:26:15 CST