Re: resetlogs

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 07:55:19 +1100

  1. If the database is open, it is in a consistent state (or, more precisely, it would be once you issue a clean shutdown command).
  2. What does resetlogs do? Forces synchronization to allow an internally inconsistent database to be opened.

Is your database internally inconsistent? No (see point 1). Therefore, why on Earth would you want to issue resetlogs in the first place?

Your step 6 is the one I can't fathom. Why do you think that you need to issue a resetlogs simply in order to perform a fresh hot backup? You don't.

I saw in another of your posts that having tried to recover your hot backup, it asks for archives from before the time the backup started. That simply cannot happen... unless you are not taking the backup properly. I hope you have remembered to do the 'alter tablespace blah begin backup' command before attempting to copy the data files. And I hope you've remembered to take a consistent backup of the controlfile, using 'alter database backup command to 'blah.ctl''. And I hope you aren't trying to hot copy the online redo logs.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com