Re: 16-bit oracle under Win2k

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:28:23 GMT

I just cheated is what I did.

Oracle Network Manager was a 16 bit app and never upgraded (because Net8 was coming.....someday); so I had a dual boot with ONM under Win 3.11 and Reflections TCP/IP and SQLNET 16 bit, etc etc, just so I could gen our network.

Only a fool or very brave person would build a multi-server, multi-instance, multi-datacenter network with Oracle Names and try to do it by hand. In fact, I don't know it's possible as the network map lives in the DB as well as locally stored files on the joyous and cheerful senior Oracle DBA / architect's PC; which by this time grew like fungus into a server-sized monster.

And the other boot was NT, and everything else I used (MSO, Oracle D&D, OEM, Reflections, Oracle RDBMS, etc.)

Making anything 16 bit run A-OK under NT or NT/2000 is not something I think I would enjoy overly. I had a ton of problems with Network Manager; the early Windows versions of Designer, especially during reverse engineering, would crash routinely. After 6 hours or so. Oracle Support said "oh, try picking less tables at a time, that might help".

sigh

Well, good luck. Without a true 16 bit environment instead of one simulated under NT/x, my prayers are with you.