Re: Algorithm for calculating extent size in LMT

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 6 Mar 2002 07:19:47 -0800

Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:<a62o0s02em0_at_drn.newsguy.com>...
> People just don't get it. Even when you show them -- they still don't believe
> you.

There is no need to believe you or anyone else. Everyone just should do a few tests and find the thruth himself. I've done it. I've tried to make out how number of extents impacts performance while inserting and deleting data. I've runned tests for several extent sizes from 8kB to 2MB, with both LMTs and DMTs. Results: Up to thousand extents, everything is the same. No matter if tablespace is DM or LM, nor if the extent size is 8kB or 2MB. After this thousand border, situation has changed. While using LMTs nothing has changed, but DMT has suffered negative performance impact. For more than 8.000 extents, response time, while inserting or deleting, has increased for about 1/6 of original value. On DMT with lots of extents also dramatically increased time needed for droping table, but that's not a critical value from productional database's point of view.
Conclusion: LMTs are damn good thing while dealing with lots of extents. Anyone who's using them, should take no care about number of extents in his database and can start looking for something more important (girls, beers, crappy SQL).

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.