Re: Question about Relational Algebra?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 12:47:45 GMT

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:

>I don't *entirely* disagree with you. I do agree that skills without
>experience are pretty useless (that is why you can't just get an OCP from a
>boot camp class and expect a high powered high paid job immediately).
>However I do think that skills can be taught (and that many skills actually
>depend on actual knowledge).

Well, then I think we are arguing about what we define as a skill.

Let me try the following analogy. Countering a punch in boxing/karate/kung fu/whatever.

You can be taught and shown how to block a punch. You can know the exact details of how and why it should be block like that. How the muscles need to be locked. The style and the form.

However, you can only do a proper block through practice and more practice. That to me is where the skill factor comes in.

Granted, a skill should be based on knowledge. Having the skill and not knowing the why and how's behind it, makes that skill pretty shallow and prevents you from adapting and using it in varied circumstances.

Back to what the original poster and thread topic. Problem solving skills IMO can not be taught. There is only so much you can teach ito problem solving - the rest is a skill that can only be picked up by actually solving problems.

--
Billy