Advice needed. learning how to make an oracle DB

From: ziggs <no email>
Date: 5 Mar 2002 23:54:23 -0600

I know a little about databases, i.e. MS access. At work, we use Oracle 8i on a Unix Server. I want to learn Oracle. However, before I ask our IT dept for access, I wanted to get a few questions answered.

  1. Assuming I get a book on how to create a database in Oracle, is possible for a DBA to set aside an area on the Unix Server that I can access and create a database while at the same time not being able to access areas that I might mess up by playing around. i.e. I accidently change some parameters in a production system that's on the same Server.
  2. Assuming that an area could be set aside, what valid concerns would a DBA have for not wanting a newbie to have an area to just learn?

TIA Received on Tue Mar 05 2002 - 23:54:23 CST